Friday, June 10, 2011

Mom and Dad's Anniversary

On June 12, 2011 my parents would of been married for 46 years! That is a very long time but yet there are couples that have been married longer than that.  My father died after their 39th anniversary of cancer.

When my parent's met my mother had already had me and my brothers Michael and Mark.  I had turned 4 in April of 1965 when they married.  I have no recollection of my birth father.  My new dad adopted the three of us which meant my birth father had to sign away his parental rights.  He never looked back after he signed away those rights.

My parents had two sons together.  We were all raised as Robinson's.  None of us were treated different from the other. 

When I look back at the years my parents were married I see two hard working parents that wanted their children to have more than what they had.  My father worked two jobs to keep a family of five.  My mother worked night turn on the weekends at our local hospital (she was a nurse) so that we would have extra money.  When my youngest brother was born she quit.

My father would work 8 hours in the steel mill, came home to eat dinner, take a nap and go out to his second job.  He worked laying block, building homes, worked in an ABCC store and in his later years as the county process server.  After he retired from the mill he worked full time as a process server.  Then he was elected to office, which he kept until he died.

Even though we were grown and out of the house my dad continued to work and helped us kids out anytime we needed help.

My mom was there to babysitt the grandkids when needed.  My mom is the best baker in the world.  Nobody makes brownies, congo bars or chocolate chip cookies like my mom! 

There were struggles as every marriage has but they made it 39 years! Do I have lots of happy memories from all those years; no. But what I do have is the strength, the courage, the independence, the self confidence to know who I am and what I can do.  They have taught me to never be afraid, to beleive in myself and to know that no matter what Idid they always loved me.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment