Tuesday, December 28, 2010

For My Grandparents: Sherwood and Victoria Higgins

As my brothers and I were growing up we spent more time with my mothers parents than my father's parents.  We were always at my grandparents house as children.  My grandparents would of been 101 years old had they lived to 2010!
My grandfather passed at the age of 80 and my grandmother at the age of 94! Today I spent the day scanning pictures of my grandfathers parents, his siblings and my grandfather as a young man.  I also scanned pictures of my grandmothers parents, my grandmother as a young girl and her siblings.  I scanned documents that are over a 100 years old.  My maternal great grandmother came to America from CzechoSlovaka and my maternal great grandfather came to America from Austria. My great grandmother arrived in America in 1906 and my grandmother was born 3 years later.
It was fasinating to look through all these pictures and documents. The unfortnate part is I have no history of all they met, how they ended up in Weirton, WV! Why did they leave their countries of birth? How could they leave their families and come to this strange country?  I have no information on how my grandparents met or what their life was as children.  I do know my grandmother quit school in the 8th grade to go to work because her father died and she had to help support her family.
But you know what ? All that doesn't matter because what I do have are great memories of these two wonderful people who played such an important part in my life.  The sad part is it took me a very long time to realize how important they were.  I was lucky enough to have realized that  before they both passed. 
My grandfather was a very quiet man.  I never heard him raise his voice, not once.  My grandmother on the hand was the dislipian! What she said went and you never opened your mouth to say: "but why"? Her word was higher than God's word!  Trust me! 
Today as I scanned all those pictures and documents I began to realize how much I miss them and today made me realize that I was truely blessed to have the best grandparents in the world. 
So if your grandparents are still alive, let them know how much you love them and how much they mean to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment